Peerkangai is a quiet common vegetable which is loaded with dietary fibers. Most of us just use the inner flesh and throw away the skin. Well don't do so. You can make a yummy thogayal out of it. It tastes heavenly with hot rice and some ghee on top. A quick, easy yet, a healthy recipe. You can make this dish in quite a few ways. Instead of thur dal you can use channa dal. Same way garlic for ginger. Even you can substitute red chilli with green chilly. This is how i learnt cooking. When i dont have a few ingredient for a recipe i add somethings which i feel might go with it. Its been four years since my cooking journey begun and this mix matching has never let me down. Actually it sort of cultivated my intrest in cooking also ended in few recipes which were quite tasty and proudly mine.
Peerkangai skin - 2 cups
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Tamarind - little
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Urud dal - 1 tbsp
Toor dal - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 TSP
Jeeragam - 1 tsp
Red chilli - 5-6
Hing - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
- Chop the Peerkangai skin roughly. Heat a pan. Add a tsp of oil and saute the skin for few minutes. Keep aside and let it cool.
- In the same pan again heat a tsp of oil. Add mustard seeds, jeeragam, urad dal and Toor dal. Fry until the lentils turn to nice golden colour.
- Now add in ginger and red chilli. Saute for few seconds.
- Switch of the stove and then add the grated coconut and tamarind. Mix it and let it cool down.
- Put all in a mixer and grind to a thick paste. Your thogayal is ready.